Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Airports And Escalators

We had a training session at the local airport today.
Sugar did very well- but made it clear enough she still does not like escalators. She pulled when I tried to get her on, I moved her forward onto it and she was fine after that. Knowing she was abused used to make me think this sort of thing is her still learning to trust me. Now, though, I remember she is my service dog- and she has always been very, very sensitive to my emotions. Having a bad day means she's as tense as I am. She doesn't relax until we're home, and she knows my husband is taking care of me.
She is an incredible dog, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

Today, at the airport, we trained with a very special teacher- Bino, the retired Military Working Dog.
We have met his sister, Miss Suzie, before, but Bino is a hero with many years in the service, and some time down-range. He's a hard worker, and an impressive dog, even as the effects of age and many years of hard work set in on his body.
Sugar is nowhere near that level of honors, but she's my personal hero- the reason I can leave the house. Her attention at training classes is impressive to me- it's incredible to see a dog's attitude change between "work" (treatment, going to work, stores, restaurants, etc.), home (and being off duty), and her training. When we are at treatment, she knows it's okay to say hi to people and check on friends, but that in public places, even if I introduce her to someone, that she doesn't get too friendly- she "says hi" (gives them her paw, maybe a lick) but then will allow them to pet her as long as I allow, yet she really doesn't so much as acknowledge them from that point on.
At training, though, she is focused. The second she is reigned in, it's all business. She might say hi to someone she knows- but only people, no other working dogs- by tapping them with her paw, but she otherwise doesn't stray from any commands she's given. There's no hugs, no distractions and no excuses- although young children are still her weakness. She will ignore even infants as long as possible, but the second one tries to pet her, about age 4 or under, she is checking on them and loving up on them.
Today, a gentleman walked up to Sugar's best friend, Benny, with his barely-toddling daughter, while we had our dogs at a "sit-stay" and proceeded to introduce his daughter to a pit bull service dog without it's owner. When Benny's owner came over and corrected him politely, the gentleman moved on to my dog.
I was already anxious, but this topped it.
I approached, just in time for our (human) trainer to actively correct this gentleman (again) on proper procedure, but Sugar was already checking on this little girl. I know this weakness of hers, and don't blame her much. I have a weakness for kids, too- I'm looking forward to having several, hopefully, eventually.
The rest of the lesson went pretty smoothly. Walking through the procedures for security and moving through the process of air travel was easy with Sugar.
I'm still processing my new reality: I am one of "those" people who gets medically discharged from the military. I am also a handler for a service dog- I am someone who needs a service dog. I don't really know how to handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment